Thursday, August 25, 2005

Utah Rave Busted By Police

I first happened upon this news while listing to a Free Talk Live podcast. The story seems boring at first, but after some thought I decided this needed some coverage. Here is the link for the story. While you would probably never see me at a Rave, nor hangin with Candy Ravers, I sympathise with these particular Ravers. Apparently, the local swat team decided to bust up this party citing drug use, sexual abuse, etc. Though I cannot attest to whether or not these activities were actually occurring, I would assume at the least there was some drug use. The organizers supposedly had done everything by the book, obtained the appropriate permits, held the event on private property, and even taken out a 2 million dollar insurance policy. Now I have personally experienced organized parties similar to this (i.e. A Black Crowes/Oasis concert in Camden) where extensive drug use was present, underage drinking, etc. where police were present and chose to turn the blind eye to these activities. Did 100 swat team members come dressed in full military fatigues with dogs to break this thing up? Of course not. These Ravers were on private property with the owners permission. I sure as hell would hope that if I were to have some party on my private property, the police would not come break this up. And if they did, you better believe I would be fuming. Can you imagine if these same police had decided to break up a "gathering" at a NASCAR race citing excessive alcohol and drug abuse. I can only say one thing, It would be a violent encounter. And can someone tell me why busting a Rave is protecting the people more than busting up a NASCAR race? I thought the police were here to protect and to serve. This party was in the middle of nowhere. Who were they really protecting? And why the full getup with fatigues? Let me know your thoughts

No comments: